Originating in the French Quarter of New Orleans the Muffuletta is a hearty and delicious sandwich that you make a day ahead. Makes 6 servings
- 1 Garlic clove
- 3/4 c Green olives
- 3/4 c Black olives
- 1/3 c Pimento
- 1/3 c Parsley
- 1/3 c + 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Round loaf crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 lb Hard salami
- 1/2 lb Baked ham
- 1/4 lb Provolone cheese
- Cut the round loaf horizontally and pull out enough of the bread inside to make room for the fillings.
- In a small bowl combine minced garlic, green and black olives, pimentos, parsley, oregano, pepper and olive oil.
- Brush the bottom half with 1 Tbsp olive oil and cover with salami, ham and provolone cheese.
- Fill the top half with the olive mixture.
- Place the bottom piece on top of the top piece and invert.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Allow to come to room temperature before cutting into 6 servings.